Monday, March 11, 2013

Week #1 - Monday

I've started this blog for a few reasons...

I think a blog (or journal 2.0) will help me think clearly about what I am looking for in a job.  And "no", it ain't just a paycheck.  Studies show (you'll just have to take my word for their existence) that compensation is not correlated to fulfillment in your career and that people get more satisfaction from a job well done. 

So what is a "job well done"?  Well I imagine it's different things to different people.  Some people like to check things off of their to-do list, some require validation from their colleagues or managers that they're doing well, some have to see their name at the top of a leader board you get the idea.

Another benefit to this blogging is to create a regiment for these days where I'm not "working".  I think by diving into a new project, I'll have something to show for my idle time and likely improve my writing and technical skills along the way.

Lastly, it would be great if I could help someone else along the way.  I don't have illusions that this blog will go viral but if someone's pulling their hair out, stressed over how to manage their time while or before going on the dole.

I'll return later today to run down the list of what I've done since my last day at work but for now, I'm heading to meet my Executive Coach, Brandon Smith.  Among other things, he writes a great newsletter taht is part of his website www.TheWorkplaceTherapist.com.  It's a fantastic read that will help you no matter what stage of your career you're in.

Thanks for reading and see you back here in a bit...

No comments:

Post a Comment